Terms and Conditions of Use
Use our Resources!
Everyone plays a role in creating a safe community. If you would like to implement the Athletes As Leaders ("AAL") program in your community, you are now able to license, free of charge, the AAL resources and materials developed by the University of Washington, by completing this agreement.
Athletes As Leaders is a program designed for high school athletes on girls’ sports teams. The program aims to empower youth to take an active role in challenging stereotypes, promoting healthy relationships and creating a safe and welcoming community for all. It is based on research and best practices in the field of sexual assault prevention. Athletes are encouraged to be leaders in changing peer norms and school climate to a culture of safety and respect.
Athletes As Leaders was originally created in 2015 by the Harborview Abuse & Trauma Center (a program of University of Washington Medicine) as part of a comprehensive sexual assault prevention project at a local high school in Seattle, WA. Since then, the program has been evaluated and expanded, and is utilized in many communities across the U.S.
To license AAL materials, please read and complete the license below, checking the "I understand" box. Once submitted, access to the materials will be provided though the AAL website.
Athletes As Leaders
Athletes As Leaders TM ("AAL") is a program for high school athletes on girls' sports teams. The program aims to empower student athletes to take an active role in promoting healthy relationships and ending sexual violence. Athletes are encouraged to be leaders in changing social norms at school (and beyond) to a culture of safety and respect.
AAL includes a multi-session program that is used by coaches and mentors to facilitate conversations with athletes on a weekly basis during their sports season. The AAL website includes various toolkits to use, including trainings, a facilitation guide, an implementation guide and evaluation tools.
Licensed Materials (defined below) are the intellectual property of the University of Washington (“UW”) and are protected by copyright laws, international treaties and this license agreement ("Agreement"), which contains the terms and conditions that pertain to its use.
As of the date the “Execute License” button below is clicked (“Effective Date”), UW grants Licensee a non-exclusive license to use AAL Licensed Materials on the following conditions:
1.1. “Licensed Materials” means all AAL materials provided, which includes the website and written content, course modules, software, images, video library, surveys, computer programs, documentation, algorithms, or other materials subject to copyright protection.
1.2. “Purpose” means use of the Licensed Materials by advocates, coaches and mentors in providing their own sexual violence prevention program to their student population within their local community or Organization. For avoidance of doubt, Purpose does not include use of Licensed Materials in a national audience.
2. Grant of Rights. Commencing on the Effective Date, UW grants Licensee a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, display, perform, and distribute Licensed Materials for the Purpose. This grant of rights is limited to use by Licensee’s Organization and its student athletes or employees and does not authorize re-sharing, disclosure to, or use by third parties or by anyone not authorized by the UW to access the Licensed Materials. Licensee shall gain no ownership in the Licensed Materials under this Agreement and does not have the right to sublicense its rights under this Agreement.
3. Rights to Modifications. UW grants to Licensee the right to make changes or extensions to the Licensed Materials for the Purpose which include, but are not limited to, corrections, translations, formatting, stylistic restructuring of the content, addition or deletion of content and other adaptations of the Licensed Materials (“Modifications”). Licensee agrees that any other Modifications outside of Purpose require prior review and written approval by UW. For clarity, Licensee does not have the right to modify, edit, or alter videos and agrees to use any videos in their entirety. Licensee further acknowledges the right of UW to prepare, publish, and distribute UW-prepared modifications to the Licensed Materials (“UW Modifications”) that may be substantially similar or functionally equivalent to Licensee’s modifications and improvements. If Licensee obtains rights under copyright, trademark or patent protection for any modification or improvement to the Licensed Materials, Licensee agrees not to allege or enjoin infringement of its rights by the UW or by any of UW's licensees obtaining modifications or improvements to the Licensed Materials from UW.
4. No Commercial Use. Licensee is not permitted to copy, distribute, perform/display or sublicense the Licensed Materials for any commercial purposes including marketing.
5. UW Updates. UW may, in its sole discretion, offer periodic, unofficial updates to licensed Materials with no obligation to provide notification to Licensee (“UW Updates”). All such updates are covered under terms of this Agreement.
6. Term and Termination. This Agreement shall remain effective for the duration of the life of the copyright protection in the Licensed Materials, except that: (i) Licensee may terminate this Agreement at any time by delivering to UW a written notice of termination at least 30 days prior to the effective date of termination; and (ii) if Licensee materially breaches this Agreement, UW may deliver to Licensee a written notice of default, and UW may terminate this Agreement by delivering to Licensee a written notice of termination if the default has not been cured in full within 30 days of the delivery to Licensee of the notice of default. Upon termination of this Agreement, the Licensed Materials granted will terminate and Licensee will destroy any existing Licensed Materials in their possession and provide written notification of said destruction to UW within 10 days of the effective date of termination.
7. Release. For itself and its employees, Licensee hereby releases UW and its regents, employees, and agents forever from any suits, actions, claims, liabilities, demands, damages, losses, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ and investigative expenses) relating to or arising out of the manufacture, use or other disposition of Licensed Materials.
8. Indemnification. Licensee shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless UW and its regents, employees, students and agents, against any and all claims, suits, losses, damages, costs, fees and expenses (including, without limitation, reimbursing reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs and expenses of defense) based on UW’s role in developing or licensing Licensed Materials and relating to or arising out of Licensee’s exercise of any rights with respect to Licensed Materials, including but not limited to any damages, losses or liabilities whatsoever with respect to death or injury to any person and damage to any property, provided that Licensee will not have obligations to the extent resulting from UW’s gross negligence or willful misconduct. This indemnification clause shall survive the termination of this Agreement.
9. Authority. Each Party represents and warrants to the other Party that it has full power and authority to execute, deliver, and perform this Agreement, and that no other proceedings by such party are necessary to authorize the Party’s execution or delivery of this Agreement.
10. Disclaimer. The Licensed Materials are/have been developed as part of a project conducted at UW. The Licensed Materials are experimental in nature and are made available “AS IS,” without obligation by UW to provide accompanying services or support. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Licensed Materials is with Licensee. EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTY SET FORTH IN SECTION 9 “Authority” OF THIS AGREEMENT, UW DISCLAIMS AND EXCLUDES ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, CONCERNING LICENSED MATERIALS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
11. Remedy Limitation. EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, (A) IN NO EVENT WILL UW BE LIABLE FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGES ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THE ACTIVITIES CONTEMPLATED IN THIS AGREEMENT AND (B) IN NO EVENT WILL EITHER PARTY BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS, LOST BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY, INVENTORY LOSS, WORK STOPPAGE, LOST DATA OR ANY OTHER RELIANCE OR EXPECTANCY, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OF ANY KIND.
12. No Assignment. The rights and licenses granted by UW in this Agreement are personal to Licensee and Licensee will not assign its interest or delegate its duties under this Agreement.
13. Proprietary Markings. Licensee shall retain in the Licensed Materials, and in any Modifications, the proprietary notices and legends as provided by UW, including without restriction any and all copyright, trademark, legends pertaining to attribution, funding sources, and disclaimer of risk, and at the request of UW, shall promptly modify such proprietary notices and legends to conform to UW’s reasonable requirements.
14. Attribution. Licensee agrees the Licensed Materials are the intellectual property of UW, and Licensee shall retain all UW copyright and attribution statements, notices, credits, and acknowledgements in any use of the Licensed Materials. For attribution, Licensee agrees to use: Adapted from Athletes As LeadersTM. © 20XX University of Washington. “AAL”, “Athletes As Leaders”, and “AAL Toolkit” are trademarks of the University of Washington. The content is used with permission. All rights reserved.
15. Trademark. "University of Washington," “Harborview Abuse & Trauma Center,” and “Athletes As Leaders” are trademarks (“collectively Trademark”) of UW. Licensee acquires no right, title or interest in Trademarks or the goodwill associated with it, other than the right to use the Trademark according to this License. In accepting this License, Licensee acknowledges that as between Licensee and UW, UW is the owner of the Trademark and Licensee agrees not to use or apply to register any trademarks which include the Trademark or any trademark, service mark, trade name or derivation confusingly similar to the Trademark, in any country or territory during or after the term of this License. Licensee will not challenge UW’s registration of the Trademark, nor assist any one in challenging them. Licensee will not take any action in derogation of any of the rights of UW in the Trademark. At the request of UW, Licensee will execute any papers or documents reasonably necessary to protect the rights of UW in the Trademark and execute and deliver such other documents as may be reasonably requested by UW. If Licensee becomes aware of any infringement on the intellectual property rights of UW, Licensee will use reasonable efforts to notify UW.
16. Feedback. Licensee agrees that it shall provide the developers of Licensed Materials (“UW Developers”) with feedback on the use of the Licensed Materials upon request from UW in a format to be provided by UW. Licensee hereby grants the UW Developers and UW the right to use any information Licensee provides to make changes to the Licensed Materials and to distribute such modifications. All bug reports and technical questions can be submitted through the AAL website from https://www.athletesasleaders.com/contact.
17. Delivery and Access. UW shall provide access to Licensed Materials to the Licensee through shared link(s) to files.
18. Security. Licensee will implement administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to ensure the security of Licensed Materials and to prevent unauthorized use or access.
19. Survival. The obligations and rights set forth herein will survive the termination or expiration of this Agreement.
20. Entire Agreement. This Agreement is the final and complete understanding between the parties concerning licensing the Licensed Materials. This Agreement supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous negotiations, representations, and agreements, whether written or oral, concerning the Licensed Materials. This Agreement may not be modified in any manner, except by written agreement signed by an authorized representative of both Parties.